Sunday, January 13, 2008

Letters To Home

Frankfurt, Germany
May 15, 1952

I'm in Frankfurt for a two-day leave to attend a T. I. & E. briefing. It's all about rotation and discharge information. I've started to get lots of questions about that; almost 5 a day from the guys who are getting close to having their time in. Whatever I can find out in the next few days will probably go over quite well when I get back to the battery.

Last evening I went from Grafenwohr to Schweinfurt in a jeep. I stayed over-night at the barracks, then caught a train to Frankfurt this morning. The trip by jeep last evening was quite nice. Just the driver and I, and the weather was cool and clear. It didn't get dark until about 9:30. We made the trip in three hours, which is good time, considering the secondary roads and traffic.

The weather in Grafenwohr has been a bit chilly for the past few days. It's quite a bit warmer here in Frankfurt, which is supposed to be the warmest city in Germany.

The khakis got here on Monday, but I haven't yet had a chance to wear them. I'll get them pressed when I get back from Frankfurt. I did try them on, and they fit fine.

Did I tell you that I am now officially the new battery clerk? I took over on Wednesday morning. It's supposed to be just about the best job in the battery; I know that I'll miss the gun, though, but what with all the new replacements and rotation, I'll probably get a few more chances to shoot before I leave Germany.

Nothing much else is new, so will close. I'll tell you all about my time in Frankfurt when I get a chance.

No comments: