Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Letters To Home - April 15, 1952

Schweinfurt, Germany
April 15, 1952

The weather is still the best I've ever seen for April, not counting Georgia. Yesterday's paper said it's the warmest April since 1830.

Tomorrow morning we're going to drive about forty miles to an airfield and take a little ride over Germany. The air force is going to show us how they'd move a battalion in war time. We're going to load into a bunch of C-119s and stay up for an hour or so. If the weather stays good, it should be fun. I've always wanted to see Germany for the air.

I'm still holding down the clerk's job, much to my dislike. Frank, the original clerk, got tired of it, complained so much that the Captain decided to put him in a gun section to see if that would change his mind. I guess I must be the only other guy in the outfit that knows how to type, so I'm "it" for awhile longer. The job is pretty good, but I do miss going out with the gun. I was just getting good as Number Two man, too. Maybe I'll get back if Frank gets tired of the section.

That's interesting about you making the basement into a family room. Please save me some space for my records, if you think it won't be too damp for them.

That's about all for now. Write soon please, and I'll do the same.

No comments: