Saturday, January 5, 2008

Letters To Home - December 13, 1951

Schweinfurt, Germany
December 13, 1951

We're having some of the strangest weather I've ever seen. On Tuesday evening it got very cold and froze the ground solid. On Wednesday morning the ground and trees were white with frost, and the frost was also hanging in the air just like fog. The sun tried to break through, but couldn't quite make it. Last night the temperature went down to 10 above zero, and all day today the frost hung like fog again. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen. If the sun comes out tomorrow, I'll try to take some pictures of it.

The rotation is definitely starting in February. Five of the guys have already been told to get their affairs here in Germany in order, that they are going home. I should be due in April or May, I think.

We had an alert earlier this evening. Because there was a shortage of drivers I got a chance to drive one of our new jeeps. It was fun while it lasted, but, tomorrow, back to the gun.

Nothing much more to tell you, so will close. Please write soon.

No comments: