Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Letters To Home - July 26, 1952

Giessen, Germany
July 26, 1952

We're still on the border, and having a very good time of it, too. It rained the past two days, and was a bit chilly, but the weather has turned beautiful today. We will be out here until the 29th, then go back into camp.

On August 4 we're heading for Baumholder again for a week or so to shoot. This will probably we my last time for that trip. I may go back into my old section as asst. gunner for awhile, since there is not much for me to do when we're at the range, and some of the sections are short of man power due to rotation. I usually get lots of reading done, but that gets a bit boring at times. I really do enjoy shooting the 105, and his may be my last chance to do it.

We have a shortage of drivers right now, so I have a jeep of my own until our regular driver gets back from wherever he's been.

Yesterday I went back to camp to get some supplies at the PX, and guess who I ran into? I just walked out the door, and met Rollie Emmett coming in. I didn't recognize him at first, since there is a fellow in Headquarters Battery that could be his twin, and I see him quite a few times during the day. It was Rollie, all right. He's stationed right across the parade ground from our barracks in the 18th Combat Engineers, and has been in Giessen about as long as I have. I sure didn't know he was here, or I would have looked him up. He looks good, but seems a bit thin.

This location where we are now is a pretty nice place. We're away back in the woods, about 30 miles north of Giessen. The German foresters really know how to take care of their forests. The trees are thinned almost in rows, with not much brush lying around. In fact, we usually have a hard time finding enough wood to keep our fires going, and we're not allowed to chop down one of their trees. Our spot is flat as a table, which makes sleeping good. The nights are a bit cool, which makes things even better.

That W. P. description you asked about means white phosperous. Jack must really have a bad burn if he got mixed up in that stuff. We have some W. P. shells in our truck, but have never shot any yet. I've seen it shot, though, and it's mean stuff, and pretty hard to put out. Jack was lucky it didn't get him worse than it did. I saw it shot at night once, and it's quite pretty to watch. Almost like civilian fireworks.

I'm going to try to get to Frankfurt next month for some last-minute shopping. I still have some things I want to get, and send back by mail so I won't have so much to carry with me.

I read in "Time Magazine" that Youngstown has permission to build a TV station. You'd probably get better reception from Youngstown compared to Cleveland. Is your reception any better than it was before I left? Did the conventions come in clear?

That's about all for now. Please write soon, and I will do the same.

No comments: