Monday, January 14, 2008

Letters To Home - June 26, 1952

Giessen, Germany
June 26, 1952

The weather here is quite nice right now. Not as warm as Schweinfurt. So far, only I day of rain since we've been here, and it didn't last too long.

This camp is really a disappointment after Schweinfurt. Big barracks-type building, with two floors, and not much land-scaping, with very few trees. There's a large parade ground right in front of the barracks, big enough to drill and hold reville or retreat. An engineer outfit is the other bunch here, and I don't think they like us, because they had their own way before we arrived. Last evening they gave one of our guys some trouble at the club; a few of his buddies came back to our truck park, pulled out a few M-100s and set them off in the club. No trouble after that.

My leave starts officially on July 1, and I'm taking 11 days this time. I've decided to go to Copenhagen, mainly Jerry and Bob talked me into it. I'll have to get some American Express checks before I leave, since Denmark won't take our military funny money. They will take American green-backs, though, but we're not allowed to have any of those.

How is the Erie Railroad doing during the steel strike? What's wrong with the Pirates this year? Are the car races still as good as they were?

The papers are still coming pretty well, but they come in bunches. I think the post office in Frankfurt must same them up until they get five or six.

Did the package get there yet? Was it in good condition? I tried to pack it so it would hold together.

I guess we'll be starting border patrol again next week. Giessen is pretty far from the border, so I guess our gun positions will be about fifty miles from here. That will be a nice ride. We're supposed to be pretty close to Fulda.

About all for now, so will close. Please write soon.

No comments: