Friday, January 4, 2008

Letters To Home - December 4, 1951

Schweinfurt, Germany
December 4, 1951

We had our first snow of the winter this morning, but it melted about as fast as it fell. Still hasn't turned very cold, seems warmer right now that it was this morning.

I guess we'll be going out at least once more to shoot. It seems that there are about a thousand rounds of old ammunition that we are supposed to use up, so we'll be going to Wildflecken around December 17 to shoot them up. We'll be staying there for six or seven days, will be back around Christmas. We've been promised that we'll have Christmas back here in camp, and so far, promises have been kept.

Tomorrow, if all goes well, Curly Adams and I will be on our way to Frankfort for Christmas shopping. The guys who have been there say that Frankfort is almost like one of our big cities, with department stores and a U. S. shopping center.

I sent a few Christmas cards this morning, so be on the watch for them.

I think I'll send Uncle Carl a German pipe for Christmas. I've seen some nice ones in Schweinfurt, but some are much too big; more for decorations than for smoking, I think. I'll try to get Uncle Carl's and Grandpa's as much alike as possible, so that there won't be any arguments.

Nothing much happening yet, so will close. Did the pictures get there yet?

No comments: