Saturday, January 5, 2008

Letters To Home - December 17, 1951

Wildflecken, Germany
December 17, 1951

We got here at about noon today. It took us a bit longer than usual because of the fog. It's quite thick here in the mountains; I've never seen anything quite like it. One of our sergeants was stationed in London during the war; says this is nothing like they get there. I can't imagine that.

We're supposed to shoot tomorrow, but I don't believe we will. Our F. O.s (forward observers) say they doubt that we will. Joe, our assistant driver, is also on the F. O. squad; he says we won't. There is also quite a bit of snow on the mud roads; it will give some of our California drivers something to think about.

The 44th is going to put on a big Christmas party for the kids of Schweinfurt this year. There will be a Santa Claus, a tree, decorations, all kinds of candy and small presents. I would like to be back then to see it.

How is the weather back there? I read in the "Stars And Stripes" that there has been quite a bit of cold weather in the East.

Something strange happened to me today. The battery is going to be pretty hard up for trained men after rotation starts in February, and the General Staff wants as many of us as possible to re-enlist for another three years in our batteries. Tonight, while I was waiting for chow, the First Sergeant came up and made me a very tempting offer. He says that if I sign up for three more years, he'll give me a gun section of my very own and give me sergeant's stripes. That would mean that I'd be in charge of a howitzer, the howitzer section of 9 men, a Reo truck and driver. In return, I would get $185.00 cash right away, plus a 30-day leave back home whenever I want it, plus $185.00 a month. Right now I'm scheduled to get discharged in October, and will have to stay in either the active reserves for 3 years, or the inactive reserve for 6 years. All in all, the offer sounds pretty fair, but I'm not sure about it. I'm still gathering time on the railroad; will have 6 years of service when I get discharged, and don't know whether or not I should give that up. Still, I would be making $185.00 a month here, with clothing and food paid in full. I could probably save some money, because most of the sergeants seem to keep to themselves and don't go running around like we privates and corporals do, spending more money than we make. I really don't know what to tell them. What do you think?

Guess I'll get some sleep now, just in case we do shoot tomorrow. We'll be getting up early if we do. Please write soon.

No comments: