Saturday, January 5, 2008

Letters To Home - January 17, 1952

Dachau, Germany
January 17, 1952

Tomorrow I finish up my two weeks here at the school, with graduation in the afternoon. I guess I'll leave for Schweinfurt sometime Saturday. This has been a very pleasant stay; wish I could stay here for six or more weeks.

Last Saturday afternoon I caught a train to Munich and found Bernie. The army seems to be agreeing with him because he looks better than ever, and seems to have lost some weight. He and his friend showed me the sights of Munich that evening and also Sunday afternoon and evening, and we had a very good time. I think I like Munich now. It was pretty-well bombed during the war, hasn't recovered as much as Frankfort has, but it's a nice place to spend time.

The weather has been very nice ever since I got here. On Sunday we had a blizzard for awhile, but it hasn't been very cold. Today was about the warmest day we've had this winter.

The train service between Dachau and Munich is just about the best I've seen anywhere. The trains seem to run about every hour during the day, and it takes just 20-minutes from here to there. The round-trip fare is 60 pfennigs, which is about 15-cents American. When I head back to Schweinfurt, the train will stop just three times between Munich and there, and makes the trip in about 6 hours.

Joe and I were going to take a 15-day leave to Paris in March, but now we've decided to change it to 15 days in Germany. We want to see some of the British and the French zones, and I want to see more of the U. S. zone, too. We should be able to see most of the big cities of Germany in that time, and the cost will be about half as much. In Garmisch there is a small camp that has a nice hotel reserved strictly for soldiers. You pay just 50-cents a night and meals are 10-cents apiece. We were thinking of staying there for awhile, and then travel north towards Bremerhaven, and stop when we feel like it. Should be fun.

I have to go to the library for some information now, so will close. Write soon, please.

No comments: