Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Letters To Home - July 17, 1952

Giessen, Germany
July 17, 1952

Nothing much new is happening here. The weather if quite a bit cooler than it has been, but we haven't had any rain for almost a month.

Tomorrow morning we're supposed to go out on border patrol near Fulda. I guess we'll be out there for two weeks, come back for a day or two, and then head for Baumholder for a week or two. That should be just about the last field trip for us. Five of the boys, who weren't supposed to get out until about the middle of September, are leaving this month. That should let them out of the army about two months ahead of schedule. It sounds good; maybe I'll be home by August or September.

I hear that the new fighter base at the Youngstown Airport is now open for business. Do they fly over Greenville at all? We see a few jet fighters here, but not as many as you might think. On the way back from Copenhagen we passed beside a British air field near Hannover, and I saw quite a few of the Vampire fighters on the field. I didn't know that they were over here.

I may get one more leave, but probably not. I think I've seen enough of foreign cities for awhile, with the exception of Munich, which I enjoy very much.

That's about all for now. Please write soon.

No comments: