Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Letters To Home - May 1, 1952

Grafenwohr, Germany
May 1, 1952

The weather here is the strangest I've ever seen. During the day it's almost too hot for comfort, but as soon as the sun goes down the cold comes in. About midnight it's cold enough to freeze ice, but as soon as the sun breaks through the mist, it warms up. I've put my sweather on every morning when we get up at 6, but by 7:30 I have to take it off, along with my wool undershirt. Really strange weather.

Another strange thing about this place is all the gulls around. There are a few small lakes here, but no ocean, and gulls are all over the place.

We're at a different locaton on the camp this time. We're living in permament tents with wooden floors and coal stoves. Not bad at all. We aren't too far from the firing range. A few tanks pulled in over the hill this morning and they've been shooting their 90s most of the day. Nothing else in the army sounds quite like a high-velocity 90 m.m. gun.

For the past week I've been working in the supply room. Not a bad job at all. There's quite a bit of paper work to do, and I do miss the gun section, especially when they go out to fire.

We got some new replacements last Saturday, and, so far, no trouble. I was looking for some on pay day, but nothing occurred. Maybe it won't.

I don't really know just what you could send the Thain family. Amanda, the young fellow's wife, is nuts over American movies. She works in a grocery store, so can probably get all the food they need there. If you don't have to fill out a form now to send anything overseas, maybe coffee would work. Cigarettes might get through, and might not.

Joe and I have about decided to take our next leave in June. We want to see Hamburg, and then head to Copenhagen for about a week. Jerry and Bob were there, say it's wonderful, and very friendly to American soldiers.

I have a few more forms to type up, so better get to it. Please write soon.

No comments: