Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Letters To Home - July 22, 1952

Giessen, Germany
July 22, 1952

The weather has been pretty nice this week, not too hot, and a bit chilly at night. We're still out on the border, but we'll be going in on Wednesday.

When did they put in the drinking fountain in front of Penn High? I didn't know anything about it. Did they ever fix the dam on the river?

I won't be taking another leave before I come home. Too many of the guys want to go in August, and I've had two already, so I'll settle for a three-day pass once in awhile. I would like to get to Munich one more time before I leave Germany.

What's wrong with the jeep? Is it motor trouble? When does Wayne get out?

This evening, three of us are going fox hunting for awhile. This forest if full of them; we hear them barking almost all night long, and they don't seem to be too afraid of us. I left my carbine back in the barracks this time, but can borrow a .45 Colt from one of the sergeants if I keep it clean, or clean it after I shoot it. If we can get close enough to a fox, I just might be able to hit it with the .45.

The mail has slowed down quite a bit over here. We have mail call about four times a week instead of every day as we used to.

That's about it for now. Please write soon, and keep sending me those newspaper articles. They are very interesting.

No comments: