Friday, January 4, 2008

Letters To Home - December 10, 1951

Schweinfurt, Germany
December 10, 1951

It's getting very cold this morning and is snowing again. This time it looks like it will stick if it stays cold enough.

This week is "B" Battery's turn to be on alert status, so maybe we'll get called out early in the morning for a practice alert. Hope not.

Curly and I went to Frankfort on Friday. We left Schweinfurt at 12:35 and got there at 4:30. The ride was very comfortable, with a new, modern coach. We got a room in a pretty fair hotel, and stayed until Sunday noon. I can't get used to the German beds; too short for me, and instead of sheets and blankets, they use feather ticks.

Frankfort is just about the nicest city I've ever visited, including Cleveland. It reminds me a bit of an American city, with traffic and street cars and busses. Many modern stores, too.

My Christmas shopping is about finished, except for one more present. It's supposed to come to me by mail in a week or two. I'm going to mail everything at once, so maybe the presents will be a bit late. I'll do my best, though.

What's new in Greenville? How is the basketball season going?

I guess I'll get some rest now, just in case we do happen to get called out early.
Please write soon.

No comments: