Thursday, January 3, 2008

Letters To Home - October 21, 1951

Schweinfurt, Germany
October 21, 1951

I'm on guard duty again this evening, and have the main gate. The weather is clear, a bit warmer than it has been for the past few weeks. It hasn't rained here for almost a month. It's so warm this evening that the mosquitos are out again. The locals tell us that it's unusual for October.

We leave Thursday for two weeks away from Schweinfurt. We'll go to Munnerstadt for two days, then drive in convoy to Grafenwohr for the rest of the time. We're supposed to fire again this time. I hope we do.

Last Thursday evening we had to move into different rooms. Service Battery had to move out of their barracks because the N. C. O. Academy moved in and took over our building. The whole move went quite smoothly, and turned out fine for us, because the sixth section (my section) is now living in three 3-man rooms. I'm living with Jerry, our gun-truck driver from California, and Joe, the assistent driver, who's from Audobon, New Jersey, which is about three miles from Haddonfield. Joe used to live in Haddonfield, went to the same school as Jean. Anyway, we now have a confortable little room, and get along with other fine. Should be easy to keep clean for inspections and such.

When we get back from Grafenwohr, I'm going to take my 3-day pass and take a trip for Frankfort. There is supposed to be a big U. S. shopping center there, so I should be able to get my Christmas shopping done.

The papers are still coming pretty regularly. The regular mail, however, seems to be taking a bit longer to get here. Your last letter took 11 days, even by air mail.

While I'm writing this letter, I'm listening to the Phil Harris show on the radio. Jack Benny's show finished up last week. The programs must be quite old because on Friday I heard a Bing Crosby show that was broadcast while we were back in Benning. probably in April. Good program, though.

Almost time to head back to the guard-house, so will close. Write soon, please.

No comments: