Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Letters To Home - April 12, 1952

Schweinfurt, Germany
April 12, 1952

The weather has turned spring-like, a bit cloudy this evening and looks like rain, but is warm.

Next week we go to Wildflecken to fire the little 37 m.m. automatic cannons, for some strange reason. I'm still working as Battery Clerk, so I may or may not get a change to shoot the things, but I hope I do. I have an interest in all the weapons of the army, and want to shoot as many as I possibly can.

We'll be in Grafenwohr from April 28 until June 26 to shoot everything we own; our howitzers, carbines, .50-caliber machine guns, .45 pistols, bazookas, etc. We have yet to shoot the .50s; in fact, we've never yet mounted them on the anti-aircraft mounts that fit on the roofs of the trucks. I shot the .50 in basic at Dix, but just a few rounds to see what it was like. We have a few .45-caliber grease guns that have never been shot, either. If the weather stays warm, it should be a pleasant month.

The check came yesterday. I'm going to try to get it cashed at an American Express office here, and put it into soldier's deposits.

We got the word this afternoon that Eisenhauer has turned in his resignation. I guess I'll have to vote Democrat this year; can't see myself voting for either Taft or Eisenhauer. If Kefauver is nominated, I'll probably vote for him.

Did the map get there yet? I'm going to try to fix up another package this evening; just a few pictures and books.

That's about all for now, so please write soon, and I'll do the same.

No comments: