Thursday, January 3, 2008

Letters To Home - November 11, 1951

Munnerstadt, Germany
November 11, 1951

We got back from Grafenwohr on Thursday, stayed in the barracks at Schweinfurt for two days, and will be out here until the 22nd. There is quite a bit of difference in the weather here. Has been almost like Spring ever snce we got back.

On pay-day some of the guys talked me into a little game of 7-car stud. Two hours later I was $60.00 richer. I put most of it into Soldier's Deposit, which is like a bank, and with what was left, bought a little Argus 120 camera. Last week I shot three rolls of film that should turn out well. I'll send them along soon.

I played the records on Thursday night, and they are perfect. A number of the guys like the music I like, so we really enjoyed the evening. I thought most of them would like hill-billy music, but not so.

I was counting up my leave time a few days ago. I now have 32 days coming. I want to go to Paris in either January or February, and then to Italy in the Spring. One of my friends has an uncle there, and the uncle tells him that the Baretta factory is now working again, and pistols are quite cheap.

From what I now hear, most of us are due to rotate back to the States about May or June. Not too much more time left in Germany.

It's getting dark, and, as yet, we don't have any lights set up. A generator is on the way from Schweinfurt, should be here soon.

No comments: