Sunday, January 6, 2008

Letters To Home - January 26, 1952

Schweinfurt, Germany
January 26, 1952

The weather during the past week has been the coldest we've had in Schweinfurt so far this year. Light snow today, and maybe it will stick this time.

The other day I got 17 papers in one big bundle. The oldest was November 13, and the latest was December 22. I had to read for a whole evening to get caught up. That must have been some snow you had.

I've just about decided to sign up for those three extra years. The First Sergeant told me the other day that I've been put in for Corporal, and I'll make it when one of the sergeants is promoted to SFC. It shouldn't be too long.

Some orders came through from Seventh Army last week that I don't like. It seems that the 28th Division has most of its equipment over here, but not enough men to do anything much with it. The 4th Division is presently over-strength by quite a bit, so some of us may be transferred over to the 28th. They want nothing but Privates, PFCs and Corporals that had high scores on their tests, and who haven't been in any trouble with the army since they've been in. I surely don't want to go to the 28th, especially if its anything like the 43rd. National Guard outfits are usually pretty much all fouled up.

If I do enlist, I'll be taking the 30-day leave about the middle or last part of May. Tell grandpa to get the fishing stuff in shape, just in case.

Time to eat, so will close. I'll keep you informed as to what is happening.

No comments: