Thursday, January 17, 2008

Letters To Home - September 1, 1952

Giessen, Germany
September 1, 1952

This is a holiday for us, so there's nothing much doing today. I'm going into Giessen this afternoon to finish up my shopping. I found a nice Hoener harmonica for Mr. Montgomery the other day, so that's one less I'll have to worry about.

It's just about certain that there is anothe shipping list for September 18, and there are just four ahead of me on the rotation list. The Captain has been after me to draw up a new schedule as to who and when will be rotating in the next month.
I do believe that the higher-ups are getting worried about not having any people for the jobs in a month or so. No one has re-upped as yet; I must have been a bad influence on some of the ones that were leaning in that direction.

When we do come back, it will probably be on either "The General Patch" or else on "The General Rose." One of the guys has a relative who's son is in the Navy, and this relative passed the word along that both ships are on the way over here with some replacements.

Curly and I went to Kassel to see the motor-cycle races. Quite a few accidents, but nobody got badly hurt. Next Sunday there will be sports car races, but we'll be out on the border again.

How is the television reception now? Do they still show wrestling on Wednesday nights? When will the Youngstown station be ready to broadcast?

Nothing much is happening, really. We now have some new replacements; none have had any artillery training, so that is putting quite a burden on the section chiefs and the officers. I am still in the orderly room, but may have a gun section of my own for a week or so on the border on account of all the guys being rotated. That's fine with me, because I really do like it on the border.

If you happen to get some packages before I arrive back, open them if you want, or else save them until I get back. I'm interested in seeing the condition they are in when they arrive.

Time to eat now, so will close. See you soon, I believe.

No comments: