Sunday, January 6, 2008

Letters To Home - February 12, 1952

Schweinfurt, Germany
February 12, 1952

We got back here yesterday afternoon, after another two days of riding. We spent last night out in the woods near Darmstadt, during the biggest snow storm of the year. It really came down most of the night. I had a chance to make a fairly good bunk under a tree; spread out my water-proof sheet, put two blankets over it, with my sleeping bag and two blankets on top. Surprisingly warm most of the night, but did get up early and got some coffee from the cooks, who had been up most of the night. I hear that it snowed every day in Schweinfurt while we were gone.

Maybe you noticed the return address on the envelope. You'll notice that I finally made Corporal. The orders were waiting for me when we came in from firing on Saturday. Now my days of walking guard are over, I think. Anyway, the hardest-to-get rank is mine. Sergeant should be easier.

What's wrong with the weather back home? It seems to be raining much more than I can remember. Is it cold, too, or is it like a Spring rain?

The mail service at Baumholder was the best I've seen in Germany. I got one letter from you in just four days. Jerry, our driver, got one from California in four days, too.

Tomorrow we have a day off because we were on the road Sunday.

While we were in Baumholder, I heard that my old bunk-mate, Ray, from Dix was in the infantry barracks, so I paid him a visit. He is scheduled to make Corporal in a few days, too. We had a nice visit; I surely wish that he had come with me to the artillery. We always got along fine; good disposition, rarely bothered by anything. He's in the 22nd Infantry, a rifleman.

Can't think of much more to say, so will close. Please write soon.

No comments: