Sunday, January 6, 2008

Letters To Home - March 2, 1952

Schweinfurt, Germany
March 2, 1952

The weather is a bit cooler, but still fine. I went into Schweinfurt to visit yesterday. The people have started selling things in the open-air market like they were doing last summer. This morning I woke up earlier than I usually do on a Sunday morning, and heard something that sounded like our robin. I don't believe that there are robins in Germany, but it sounded good, anyway.

I have now moved into another room, since my promotion came through. Jerry, our truck driver, and Bob, another driver, and I are sharing a very nice, comfortable room. But, on Friday evening they both left for seven days in Copenhagen, so I now have it all to myself.

Joe and I leave Sunday midnight for Munich and Garmisch, too. If this weather will just hold up, we'll have a pleasant leave.

A new radio stationed opened in Nuremburg, and it's better than any I've ever heard before. They seem to get all the new releases from the States, and broadcast 24 hours a day. At night, they sometimes have broadcasts from the States, too. I heard something last night called "Pete Kelly's Blues," and it was terrific. Jack Benny and Phil Harris come on every Sunday night; right now I'm listening to the "Hit Parade."

I've definitely decided about what I'm going to do about staying in the army. I am going to take my discharge in October and get back to work on the railroad. I don't believe that I could stick out three more years of this. I don't really enjoy the army that much, either. Maybe an inactive reserve outfit would be better.

That's about all for now. Please write soon.

No comments: