Thursday, January 17, 2008

Letters To Home - September 18, 1952

Bremerhaven, Germany
September 18, 1952

We're just about ready to start back to the States. We left Giesen last evening at
11:00, got here about 10:00 this morning. It rained the whole way North, and the closer we got to the sea, the colder it got. Right now it's pretty chilly, but no snow as yet. Anyway, our ship leaves Sunday afternoon at 2:00, so we should be in New York City by October 2 at the latest.

This is a pretty nice little camp. It reminds me a lot of Schweinfurt, especially the barracks and all the trees. It was probably one of the camps that the German navy used during World War II. There aren't many troops permanently stationed here, either. Almost everyone I see is waiting to go home.

Almost all of the guys I took basic with are here, even though we didn't see each other during our time in Germany. Most of them were sent to the Infantry when we hit Fort Benning. Ray, my old bunk-mate from Fort Dix, is in the bunk right next to me, and my buddy Joe is on the other side. I heard Bob Nelson's name called today, but didn't see him. I don't think he's going to be leaving when we do; some are being held over for the next ship, and lots of them will be catching KP much of the time while they're here. We all were surely afraid that that might happen to us, but it didn't. It seems that the guys from the 28th Division are the ones doing all the dirty work.

From what we hear, most of us will be processed in Camp Kilmer, New Jersey for two days at the most, then will go elsewhere for separation. We'll be separated from a camp closest to our home; that would be Fort Indiantown Gap, I believe.

I sent three packages out yesterday, so they should get there about the same time I do.

I'm a bit tired from the train ride, and the "hurry up and wait" we've been going through here. I did sleep a bit on the train, though. It was just about like those Youngstown to Cleveland rides I used to take on the Erie. Most of the guys couldn't sleep while sitting in a coach, but it didn't bother me a bit.

I'll keep you informed on what is happening. If you write, I probably won't get the letter.

No comments: