Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Letters To Home - May 7, 1952

Grafenwohr, Germany
May 7, 1952

This has been a pretty good week so far. We went out every day to fire, and the weather has been hot and dry. It rains a bit every afternoon, but stays warm.

I've been going out almost every day with my old gun section because they don't have a trained asst. gunner yet, which was my old job in the section. One of the new colored replacements has been breaking in with me on the job. I think he'll be good at it.

Over the week-end seven of us went to Weiden on a week-end pass. Weiden is just about the prettiest and cleanest town I've seen yet in Germany. It isn't much larger than Schweinfurt, but much nicer. Over the week-end there was a carnival in town, so we had to go see it. It wasn't much different from the ones back home, except that the rides were probably a bit wilder.

My new supply job is a pretty good deal. I'm exempt from duty, so that means I won't be Corporal-Of-The-Guard, or have to pull Charge-Of-Quarters.

We'll be shooting our carbines and the .50-caliber machine guns next week. That will be fun if the weather holds out.

Tomorrow is a holiday for us. I can sleep late if I want to, but we're very close to the Czech border, so maybe I'll take a look at it.

Nothing much more to say, so will close. Write soon, please.

No comments: