Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Letters To Home - August 3, 1952

Giessen, Germany
August 3, 1952

The weather has turned warm again after three days of rain and cold winds. We came in from border patrol on Wednesday afternoon, will leave for nine days of shooting at Baumholder tomorrow. I think I will go out with one of the gun sections at least one day next week for service practice just to see if I remember how to gun. I sure hope I do, because I hear that some of the officers will be checking things pretty closely this time.

Yesterday evening a few of us went to Marburg, and had a good time. Marburg is one of the prettiest little towns I've seen in Germany. It seems to be a very old town; the Church of St. Elizabeth in the square was built away back in 1202. It's a very pretty little church. The town itself seems to be built on the side of a mountain, and it seems to have no actual main street. It would be very easy to get lost, even within sight of the market place. There are lots of little alleys and streets cutting in and out between the buildings. I took some picures of the town, and will send them along.

Rotation has started at last. The first one left yesterday, and five more are due to leave this month. I sure will miss some of them; we've been together for quite awhile, and most are good guys. I guess I will be leaving in late August or early September, if things go as scheduled. Things are looking better and better every day.

I am sending along a few pictures that have been lying around much too long. The colored ones are the ones that were taken during our air-lift back in April. I think they came out very well.

That's about all for now, so will close. Please write soon.

No comments: