Saturday, December 8, 2007

My First Day in the Army

Fort Dix, New Jersey

October 24, 1950

We left Erie last evening at about 5:30 in a special troop train, bound for Fort Dix. Five Pullman cars, one diner, with a big, beautiful Pennsy K-4 on the head-end. Bob, Paul, Bill, Mac and I ate together. It was a good meal, our last civilian one for quite sometime, I fear. Strange, I've been a railroader for six years; that was my first meal on a dining car.

We sat and talked afterwards, all quite subdued, naturally, except for Mac. I never really appreciated him before; he'll be good to have around. Noticed one fellow sitting alone, staring out into the darkness. Wouldn't speak to anyone all evening. Our sergeant says he's National Guard; served once, has been recalled to active duty. Married, with children. Tough break.

Turned in about 8:30. Another first; never slept in a Pullman before. I had a lower all to myself. I opened the shades for awhile to watch our progress through the hills of Pennsylvania. We ran along a sizeable stream for awhile. Quite pretty in the moonlight. Passed through one sizeable town and noticed a carnival or church festival in progress very close to the tracks. Lucky people.

I had the foresight to pick up a magazine, just in case I would have trouble sleeping, but found I didn't need it. Dozed off about ten, didn't waken until we switched from steam power to electric in Harrisburg. Very fast trip after that.

We arrived in Fort Dix at about 7:30 a.m. today. This is a very big, busy place. We unloaded from the train, boarded buses and were driven to the mess hall for breakfast. The food not as bad as I thought it might be. After breakfast, back to the buses and were driven to temporary quarters. Nothing much will happen today, we're told. Tonight we are free to go to the movies or the P. X. (Post Exchange), but can't leave the area, though.

Shots and testing tomorrow.........

Bill
www.oldbillsattic.com

No comments: