Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Letters To Home - April 25, 1951

Fort Benning, Georgia
April 25, 1951

Back in camp after leave. Went on leave April 12, drove with Sgt. Wyatt to Birmingham in his car. He's not one of my favorite non-coms, but we got along, and the trip was pleasant. On the way to Birmingham, we drove through a "dry" county, which means that no alcoholic drinks can be sold in that county. This is a perfect example of Yankee (or should I say Rebel?) thinking. On driving west, just before you come to the county line, there is a saloon with a large roadside sign announcing "last chance for a drink." After you drive through the county, just before you reach the county line, there is a large roadside sign about 100 yards from the border announcing "first chance for a drink," with another saloon at the border. Of course, if you are driving east, the signs are reversed. We had to stop at both of them, just to compare. I understand both saloons are owned by the same man. Business must be good.

Sgt. Wyatt dropped me off at a hotel in downtown Birmingham, where I sat in the lobby from about 5 p.m. until 10 p.m., waiting for the airport bus. The time went fast; the hotel quite busy, with comfortable chairs. At about 8 p.m. a very good band started in the ballroom, so time went swiftly after that.

The flight was on time; left around 12:30 a.m. April 13, enroute Birmingham to Pittsburgh, with a 20-minute stop in Chattanooga, Tennessee, via Capitol Airlines. After leaving Chattanooga, the pilot wandered through, spotted me in uniform, passed on the information that President Truman had just sacked General MacArthur. Guess this will be the first "war" (we're supposed to call it a "police action') that the United States is not trying to win. Regarding the "police action." I once almost earned myself a 3-day spot on K. P. by declaring, in too loud a voice, that I could not possibly be sent to Korea until I was issued my police whistle and billy club. Anyway, nothing came of it, but I was warned not to be too smart.

Went to sleep shortly after receiving the news, and my seat-mate wakened me about a 1/2-hour out of Pittsburgh. We arrived in a heavy fog, but the pilot got us down safe and sound. My personal funds were pretty low, so I rode the airport bus downtown, where a kind street car conductor took me out to Route 19 without charge. A truck hauling steel came along, the driver picked me up. As luck would have it, he was hauling steel for new construction at the college in my home town, and he dropped me off right at my front door.

Leave went faster than it should have. The weather was chilly compared to Georgia; rainy and a bit snowy most of the time, but it was good to rest up. I cranked up the old Dodge (circa 1942). It ran very well. Did lots of dancing, dating and visiting, with much good food. Everyone seemed happy to see me.

Since leaving Dix, I had been writing regularly to Jean, so she arranged things for me to stop over for 1 day enroute back to Benning. I left Youngstown, Ohio on a Saturday morning on a Capitol Airlines flight, which was at that time still using DC-3s. The flight was Youngstown to Philadelphia, with a stop at Wilkes-Barre. Arrived in Philadelphia, caught a local bus to Haddonfield, New Jersey, and Jean was waiting. Went to her place, met her folks, who were friendly. She borrowed the family car, went driving awhie, then to a movie. Stayed over at her place, and she drove me to the airport in the morning.

Got a flight from Philadelphia to Washington, D. C. Beautiful Lockheed Constellation. Smooth trip. Spent some time on stand-by at Washington, finally left Washington on Eastern Air Lines, enroute to Atlanta. Very rough trip. We had a scheduled stop at Charlotte, but spent over an hour circling there due to a thunder storm.

Finally got down, about two hours late, with quite a few sick passengers. Were late getting out of Charlotte for Atlanta, and didn't seem to make up any time. Eastern must be one of the slowest, inept airlines in the business.

Arrived in Atlanta late in the evening, tired and cross. Found a bus to Columbus, Georgia, got back to camp about 2 a.m., checked the duty roster, found that I was on the K. P. list. Wonderful welcome.

Almost everything here is packed for the big move north. Scuttlebutt has it that we'll be leaving for Germany on May 22. We'll go either to Dix or Camp Kilmer, New Jersey for over-seas processing.

Now very hot, but can now legally wear our summer uniforms.

No comments: