Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Letters To Home - June 9, 1951

Aboard The William O. Darby
June 9, 1951

We went past the White Cliffs Of Dover at nine this morning. Beautiful sight, and the English Channel is as smooth as a duck pond. The North Sea has been quite smooth, too. Many fishing boats, quite far from land.

I got slightly sea sick the other day. Rough sea, and the propeller was coming out of the water once in awhile, vibrating the whole ship. One of the cooks gave me some soda crackers, told be to go out on deck and let the cold air hit me. It worked. I've heard that sour pickles will work, also.

The only bad feature of this trip, so far, is that I catch KP every other day. We also seem to lose two hours of time every other day, too, which means that I am short on sleep. Shipboard KP not bad at all. When we are finished after serving a meal, get to watch movies or loaf around.

Supposed to land in Bremerhaven about 7 a.m. tomorrow.

We all received the Royal Order of Atlantic Voyageurs from Neptune Rex, via Captain Hines. Something for my scrap book.

No comments: