Friday, December 28, 2007

Letters To Home - August 14, 1951

Schweinfurt, Germany
August 14, 1951

I'm back in Schweinfurt for two days, then back on maneuvers. Next week we'll be going away up to Fulda instead of the usual places. I've never been that far east before, so new territory will be interesting.

I left Hammelburg on Saturday, just before the officers and most of the 631st arrived, and joined the 44th again at Wildflecken. I was really glad to get back, and away from what might happen when the officers from the 631st find the short-sheeted bunks. It's funny to think about, but maybe they won't think so.

The weather has been pretty warm back here, but there is also quite a bit of rain. At night, when we're out in the field, we build a fire and cook. We get Dutch salami at the PX, and buy large loaves of rye bread from the Germans. Last Saturday evening a few of us walked down the mountain to a little town and bought some eggs and meat, and then cooked it back in the woods. I think I'd much rather live in the field than back in barracks.

Germany is getting quite crowded with soldiers. When the 28th and the 43rd arrive, there won't be much room.

On our off hours, most of us play cards of some sort. I especially enjoy 7-card stud, nothing wild. Great game. Instead of money, most of us will use packs of cigarettes. Cigarettes cost us $1.00 per carton, but those that sell them in town on the supposedly illegal black market will pay you $2.00 a carton for all you want to sell. Since I don't smoke, I'm always glad to sell. Yesterday afternoon I bought three cartons, and after our card game was over I had seven cartons. The game started badly for me. Lost a carton and a half right away, but then the luck turned and I couldn't lose. One of the guys was going into town, so I sold them to him for $14.00. Who says you can't make money in the army?

For some reason, we're starting to get quite a few replacements. Rumors are flying that some of us will be leaving for the States soon. In fact, the strong rumor has it that three bunches will be leaving by June 1, 1952, which would be quite early if I'm in one of the bunches.

Getting late, so I'll close. Did the books arrive there yet?

No comments: