Monday, December 17, 2007

Letters To Home - April 6, 1951

Fort Benning, Georgia
April 6, 1951

Leave officially starts on April 11, and should be home on April 12. I get 11 days total. Red and I are going over to Maxwell Field tomorrow to see about a hop in an army transport.

Hot and rainy yesterday, cooler today.

The guard job is working out fine. Have every other day off, with all the sleep i need. Lon and I are trading posts to keep variety in our lives. Had the motor pool site last time, close to the Central Of Georgia tracks. A long, fast freight goes through every morning about three, so I try to manage the shift to be at the tracks when it goes through.

Lon claims he saw bear tracks near the chapel on his tour, but I wonder if maybe he's trying to work on my mind. He's from the hills of West Virginia, though, and maybe knows bear tracks when he sees them. Anyway, I'll be walking post around the chapel this evening with a borrowed M-1.

No comments: