Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Letters To Home - November 4, 1950

Fort Dix, New Jersey
November 4, 1950

Had our first rain this afternoon, but the temperature hasn't cooled any. Almost too hot for the past week.

We were issued our rifles today. Mine isn't new by any means, but seems tight enough and in decent condition. Haven't received any care and feeding instructions for it as yet, Probably won't until basic training starts in earnest.

Finally got the rest of my clothing issue. Threw away what was left of the loafers. I am now the proud owner of one raincoat, two pairs of fatigues, two dress uniforms, six sets of summer underwear, two sets of long underwear, seven pairs of socks, three summer uniforms, two pairs of combat boots, and one pair of dress shoes. Also, one field jacket, which I will return to Uncle Sam when basic is over. I'm supposed to get an overcoat, but, as usual, none available in my size.

Took a little tour of the area last evening, searching for a familiar face. Found none. I guess all have left for other camps.

I now have had all my shots. Not bad; just sore arms for a few days.

Our days have settled into routine. Up at 5 a.m., go to breakfast, clean up our area, make up the bunks, and wait. This happens six mornings a week. Sundays, we don't have to get up at all unless we want breakfast, which is served at 6:30 a.m. We get Saturday afternoons and all day Sundays off unless we are on KP or guard duty. Lights go out in the barracks at 9 p.m.; the day room (rec room) lights go out at 10.

I'm bunking with an amiable fellow from Riverside, New Jersey, which is about 25 miles from the camp. He, another fellow, and I bought an electric iron today. Used two foot lockers and a blanket to make a very serviceable ironing board. Bought a sewing kit, too, and have been busy sewing shoulder patches to my uniforms. Amazing what a person can do when uder specific orders.

Am having a terrible time finding a copy of "Down Beat." Will have to subscribe, I guess. Don't want to get too far behind on the big band and jazz news.

No comments: