Friday, December 14, 2007

Letters To Home - January 8, 1951

Fort Dix, New Jersey
January 8, 1951

Very little new training being done now. Lots of close order drill, cleaning of equipment, etc. We're all on orders, rumor has it, but nothing definite as to where I'll end up. My job in the orderly room (the typing job) finished early, so I am back with the rest of the gang. Our useless squad leader, the litle noisy guy I mentioned earlier, who will remain nameless, screwed up last week, so I am now in charge of the squad. I would like to get out of the job as soon as possible; too many headaches, and too many screw-ups to deal with. The powers-that-be should never have made him a squad leader to begin with. His Coast Guard experience did not amount to a damn in this outfit. Very poor soldier, but able, until now, to bluff his way through most situations. I'll learn from this.

No comments: