Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Letters To Home - July 24, 1951

Schweinfurt, Germany
July 24, 1951

The weather lately has been cool and rainy. It rained most of today, and tonight looks like more rain. I think it will be a cold winter over here.

On August 5, we'll be going back to Wildflecken again for two weeks. I don't mind; it's really beautiful there.

We got wall lockers last week. They are made in Sweden out of cedar. There's now room for all my uniforms and other stuff. We also sanded down the floors. When we get some wax, the barracks will look better than ever before.

The scuttle-butt has it that most of the 4th Division will be leaving for the States next June. According to the rumors, the 3-months extension doesn't apply to draftees, so there's a good chance that I will be coming back to Benning or Dix in September to help train another outfit, but I'm not counting too much on that.

I sent a small package last week. Just 5 books I ordered through the VFW. A history of World War II.

Had quite a bit of excitement Saturday night. I had guard duty that night, drew guard for the main gate. I don't much care for that post, so I worked a trade with Lon, because he likes it. About 1:30 a.m. a Captain drove up and told Lon he saw an escaped prisoner down the road, and wanted some help catching him. Lon got into the jeep with the Captain, and they took off.

I was on duty at the post next to the main highway, saw Lon and the Captain going by. Pretty soon I heard two shots, and a bit later Lon, the Captain, and the prisoner drove back headed for camp. When the Captain picked Lon up, Lon was carrying a Colt .45 pistol instead of his carbine. That is what probably saved the prisoner's life, because Lon admits that he can't shoot the pistol worth a darn, but is quite good with the carbine. The escaped prisoner wouldn't stop when ordered to, and Lon let go two shots to make him stop. I'm really not sure that Lon shot at him, but one never knows, knowing Lon.

No comments: