Saturday, December 8, 2007

Prelude to The Korean War in Germany

Following are letters home from the army. I will be posting at least one a week until they are gone:

Sometime in September, 1950, I received my greetings from President Harry S. Truman, requesting my services in the armed forces. I had originally registered for the draft in Cleveland, Ohio, later moved home to Greenville, Pennsylvania. I received my first induction notice from Cleveland, but, since I didn't want to go all the way back to Cleveland to enter, I transferred my registration to my home town. This deferred my actual induction about a month. and changed by original induction point from Cleveland, Ohio to Erie, Pennsylvania. What follows is a short history of my life in October, 1950.

Twenty of us from my home town were bused from Mercer, Pennsylvania about the first week of October, 1950 for our physical examinations. Most of us passed, including myself. About two weeks later, we were again bused from Mercer, Pennsylvania to Erie for our pre-induction physical. After standing around in a large warehouse-type room, in various forms of dress and undress, most of us again passed. We were sworn in by a sergeant. My one humorous memory of this day is that the large room was located next to the New York Central Railroad tracks. Many fast passenger trains passed during the day. However, for some reason, one of the trains stopped right outside the window. I wonder what the passengers thought, upon looking out their windows, to see a bunch of young men, some nude, milling around.

We left Erie on October 23, 1950 at about 5:30 p.m. Five Pullmans, one diner, with a big, beautiful Pennsy K-4 Pacific on the head end. Bill, Bob, Paul, Mac (my friends from home) and I ate together. Good meal, too; our last civilian meal for quite sometime, I'm sure. Funny, I've been a railroader for six years, and that was my first meal in a dining car. We sat and talked awhile, all quite subdued, naturally, except for Mac. I never really appreciated him before; he'll be good to have around.

Noticed one fellow sitting alone, staring into the darkness. Wouldn't speak to anyone all evening. Our sergeant says he's National Guard; served once, has been recalled to active duty. Married, too, with children. Tough break.

Turned in about nine. Another first; never slept in a Pullman before. I had a lower all to myself. I opened the shades for awhle to watch our progress through the hills of Pennsylvania. Ran along a large river for awhile. Pretty in the moonlight. Passed through a sizeable town and saw a carnival or church festival in progress very close to the tracks. Lucky people. I had the foresight to pick up a magazine, just in case I had trouble sleeping, but found I didn't need it. Dozed off about ten, and didn't wake again until we switched from steam power to electric in Harrisburg. Very fast trip after that.

Arrived at Fort Dix at about 7:30 a.m. on October 24. This is a very big, very busy place. We unloaded from the train, boarded buses and were taken to the mess hall for breakfast. Food not as bad as I thought it might be.

After breakfast, back to the buses and driven to temporary quarters. Nothing much will happen today, we're told. Tonight we are free to go to the movies or the PX (Post Exchange), but can't leave the area.

Shots and testing tomorrow.

No comments: