Saturday, December 15, 2007

Letters To Home - January 14, 1951

Fort Benning, Georgia
January 14, 1951

Another beautiful day in Georgia. Still nothing much to do. No official training yet; just a bit of close-order drill.

Eleven of us moved up the hill to "B" Battery this morning. Glad to be out of "C" Battery; too many rebels, none very friendly to a northerner. "B" Battery has a better feel to it. I'm now closer to the top of Sand Hill, which may make for problems when coming home from the beer hall. As a result of the transfer, I'm not assigned to anything at the present. Probably will have anothr interview to see what I'm suited for. I hope it's the gun section. Supposed to go to the range Saturday for qualification on the M-2 carbine.

Went into Columbus, Georgia last Saturday night. Large city with lots of soldiers, and, for some reason, some sailors. I'm told that there are a few fine restaurants. Ran into some of my old friends from Dix. They're away out in Harmony Church. We emptied a number of bottles during the evening. Good local beer; Jax and 76 Ale. Understand there is a den of iniquity called Phenix City, in Alabama, just across the Chattahoochie River. Will have to investigate some day. I'm told that the time zone changes the moment you cross the river.

No comments: