Friday, December 14, 2007

Letters To Home - January 6, 1951

Fort Dix, New Jersey
January 6, 1951

Took a physical exam for O. C. S. (Officer's Candidate School) yesterday, and passed. Pretty stiff physical, too. I think the army is wasting its time on me in this aspect, though. I have no desire other than to serve my two years and get the hell safely out.

Got just one day's training this past week. I was on Asst. CQ last Sunday, and was typing some letters. Sgt. Freeberg, our First Sergeant, noticed me typing; he wants me to work nights in the orderly room, typing copies of General Orders, S. O. P., etc. I get to work all night except for nights before we go out to the shooting ranges, then get to sleep all day. The job should last another week or so, possibly longer if I dog it a bit. We'll see.

Had a wonderful New Year's Eve at the main service club. Sam Donahue And His Band played; 350 or so girls came up from the Philadelphia area. The place was jammed. The band was excellent; Sam played all his recordings, plus lots of other pretty mood music for dancing. Met another very likeable girl from South Jersey. Anna Mae. Either feast or famine. Now I have two to write to, plus the others back in Cleveland. Just like the good old days.

Had K. P. on New Year's Day. Didn't sack out after the dance broke up at about 1 a.m. Went back to the barracks and read. Half the barracks are gone home on leave. About a half-hour before reville I went to the boiler room and fired-up the furnace. Warm barracks for a change. Greatly appreciated by all concerned.

Shipping orders now being posted. Guess I won't be staying here after all, but not yet sure just where I will be going. Many are going to Fort Benning, Georgia. Exciting times.

No comments: