Monday, December 10, 2007

Letters To Home - October 26, 1950 - US Army-Fort Dix, New Jersey

Fort Dix, New Jersey October 26, 1950

Two of our processing days have ended. No unpleasant surprises yet. I haven't done any real work; one of our non-coms says we won't until we sign our insurance papers. So far, just testing and clothing issues. Meals are surprisingly good, and I'm sleeping well. The home-town bunch has started to split up. Mac has gone somewhere; Bill, Paul and Bob are still with me.

We're located near a large airfield. Very noisy most of the time. Had a few pictures taken at the service club. Look quite forlorn in my ill-fitting fatigues. We're not permitted to wear our dress uniforms yet. I don't have a complete dress uniform, anyway. No jackets my size.

I understand we will be, in rank, classified lower than the old rank of Private. We'll be called something dreamed up by the "New Army." Recruit.

No comments: