Friday, December 28, 2007

Letters To Home - September 3, 1951

Schweinfurt, Germany
September 3, 1951

The weather is turning colder. It rained last night, and most of today. I'm on guard duty right now. I was lucky, caught the main gate, and will take it this time because it will keep me out of the rain. All I do is check passes, so I will be out of the rain most of the time. Today is a holiday, but I'll miss most of it.

I haven't been able to make contact with my German family for quite some time. Either we''re out on patrol, or I have some kind of duty. They've been checking on me, I know, but don't come into the camp.

I sent a few things to you. If they arrive safely, I'll send a few more.

Thursday we're supposed to go to Munnerstadt for border patrol. Another new territory for us, so should be interesting.

You asked about the word "Bad" in the name of some of the towns. It means that there are mineral or warm springs in the town. Bad Kissingen has quite a few big springs, and so does Bad Neustadt. Did the post cards ever arrive?

We traded in our old radio on pay day and got a new 6-tube R. C. A. table model with short wave and a phonograph jack. It's a very good radio, especially the short wave part. On Saturday night I got a Giants ball game, and the Voice Of America. In the afternoon I found a broadcast in English from Radio Moscow. It was funny to hear their versions of the Korean "police action."

Yesterday I got eight papers at one time. The latest one was dated August 3rd, so they are slowly catching up.

Almost time to go back on guard, so I'll close. Write soon.

No comments: