Monday, December 31, 2007

Letters To Home - October 6, 1951

Schweinfurt, Germany
October 6, 1951

This is another beautiful day, just like October back home. The nights get down to freezing, but the days are warm.

I guess I mentioned that I didn't get to go along with the rest of the battery on Eucom maneuvers. I'm pulling guard duty back here in Schweinfurt; 24 hours on and then 24 hours off. In this weather, it isn't bad at all, but I'd much rather be with the rest of the gang.

Have you been listening to the play-off games? I listened to all three of them, and the first game of the World Series. The reception was quite good all during the games. One good thing about the army broadcasts is that the Gillette commercials are cut out. No advertising on the Armed Forces Network.

We were finally issued our winter clothing. I now have four pairs of extra-heavy wool socks, a pair of winter boots, a pair 0f 3-fingered mittens, a fur-lined cap, a scarf and a fur-lined jacket that looks something like that surplus tanker jacket I used to wear.

I'm enclosing some pictures of the maneuvers, cut out of the Army newspaper. So far, there haven't been any taken of the 44th Field.

Almost time to get back on duty, so will close. Please write soon.

No comments: