Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Letters To Home - May 30, 1951

Camp Kilmer, New Jersey
May 30, 1951

The trip north was fine. Rode Pullmans, and I had a lower all to myself. Nothing to do except watch the scenery, or sleep. Food good, and plentiful.

Very busy during processing at Camp Kilmer during the day, but lots of free time.

Had the week-end off. Found out when I called Jean that her parents had invited my folks in for the week-end. I caught a southbound Pennsylvania local to Philadelphia, a bus to Haddonfield. Jean was waiting; we got to her home just as the folks arrived. They finally got delivery on a beautiful brand-new 1952 Dodge Coronet. Jean and I went out Saturday night for awhile

Spent most of the week-end at Haddonfield, then the folks drove me back to New Brunswick, where we spent Sunday night at a downtown hotel. Met Sgt. Petruzzi next morning in the coffee shop, went back to camp with him.

Monday evening 60 of us went by bus to the Polo Grounds in New York City to see the Braves beat the Giants. Good game, and close. Saw a rookie named, I believe, Mays hit a home run.

Got another overnight pass yesterday, so went back to Haddonfield. Jean met me at the bus stop. Spent the night at her home, then back to Kilmer this afternoon.

We'll be staying here until Friday, we hear. One of our officers went into New York to look over our ship. Has air-conditioning and fresh-water showers, he says.

No comments: