Monday, December 31, 2007

Letters To Home - September 23, 1951

Schweinfurt, Germany
September 23, 1951

The weather is still very nice, but it's beginning to get colder during the nights. The locals tell us that we could expect snow in late September.

Sorry I haven't been writing more often. Things keep happening to take up my spare time. Sometimes prisoner guard, which I do not like one bit, but I can't argue about it. I'll tell you about it sometime.

We finally got our new day-room radio. The first one was a piece of junk. The new one looks impressive, is made in France, has a 3-speed record player. However, do date we don't have any records to play. The next time I go into town I'll see what's available.

We now have a dark room for photography in the upper level of the barracks, along with a small gym. Soon there will be no reason to leave the post, but, I'm sure, we'll manage to find reasons.

I went to church this morning for the first time since I arrived in Germany. The chapel is a pretty, little place. The Chapain is from Mississippi, is ex-Air Force, and a good speaker.

On Thursday we go back on border patrol for a week. The schedule is starting to develop; one or two weeks on patrol, then back in barracks for a week to clean up our equipment, get hair cuts, etc., then back on patrol. I really do enjoy life out in the field; more informal, usually nice weather, and we get to see some new territory. However, this time I'll probably try sleeping in my sleeping bag. I don't like the thing, but it is warm.

Can't think of much more to say, so will close. Write soon, please.

No comments: