Monday, December 31, 2007

Letters To Home - October 12, 1951

Schweinfurt, Germany
October 12, 1951

It's another nice evening, but still getting a bit colder every night. Last night I set a quart of milk on the window sill and there was ice in it this morning. The days are still pleasant, though.

The package came yesterday evening. Thanks for all the things. I can use the fish when we go out on border patrol. I tried on the stocking caps and they fit just right under my helmet liner. I was afraid maybe they'd be too tight, but they aren't.

On my last day of guard duty I managed to make Colonel's Orderly. The colonel's orderly is chosen by the Officer Of The Day as being the best-dressed guard at guard mount. All the orderly does is act as a messenger all the next day, and doesn't have to walk guard. I slept in the guard house all night and sat around in the Sergeant-Major's office all the next day. There must not have been any important messages to deliver that day.

In return, I get a 3-day pass whenever I want it. I think I'll take it about the first of next month and go to wither Wurzburg or Frankfort. Both places have big U. S. shopping centers.

I don't have any idea of just what I want for Christmas, unless you could send over two or three more long-play record albums for our new record player in the day-room. I would like, if possible, Woody Herman's "Sequence In Jazz" on Columbia LP, or Sharkey Bonano's "Southern Comfort" on Capitol LP, or George Shearing's album on M-G-M LP. If they can't be found, how about Les Brown's LP album on either Columbia or Coral? Both are good.

Getting late. Please write soon, and many thanks for the package.

No comments: